Tuesday 10 August 2010

Treasures of the Anglo-Saxons

Going (slightly) off topic, I have just watched one of the best programmes I have ever seen on Anglo-Saxon art presented with passion and knowledge by Dr. Janina Ramirez on BBC4, a criminal slot for such an excellent piece. It is airing (presumably) as part of the BBC's current Norman Season (see what they did! Those rotten Normans overturning centuries of artistic development!).

I was disappointed by her simplification of the Anglo-Saxons following Rome, the rest of the country following native Christianity when it was the fact that the two had to co-exist for a time in the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms that brought about the decision to change. She was of course right in identifying the figure of St Cuthbert as the figure around whom the two traditions could mix and grow (even if he may have been obedient rather than enthusiastic about the change).

I was slightly intrigued by why her boots seemed to play such a star role in the programme though, as they wended their way in close up through St Paul's in Jarrow, across the turf at Lindisfarne Priory and through the halls of the British Library and the British Museum.

That aside, I learned a few new opinions, saw some objects I had never seen before and finally got to see the hall that Regia Anglorum were building in Kent back when I was a member.

No comments:

Post a Comment